Saturday, January 12, 2013

"I Love that, but I just can't pull it off."



Have you ever said to yourself or someone else, "Oh I love _____ I'm just not good at it." or "I love that _____ (article of clothing) but I can't pull it off."
Have you ever stopped to think, why you believe it's not your style, you can't pull it off or you're just not good enough? A friend several years ago gave me a new perspective on the whole style aspect of this question. I really liked Converses and beanies, but felt the were too "cool" for "someone like me" to wear, "I couldn't pull that off." I was comparing myself to her and how well she wore them. She told me something, I wasn't expecting. I can pull them off because I know I can pull them off. If I didn't think I could it wouldn't look right." This way of thinking made me think.. why do I think I can't pull it off. Honestly it went back to insecurities as far back as I could remember. Being picked on as a kid and just not being confident in me and my own individuality. When I thought about it, I was reminded of two friends of mine who were close friends, but had completely different clothing styles. If one liked something the other hated it. But beside friendly teasing there was no abuse or mockery. I also began to notice more and more people that had their own clothing identity, not something I would wear or do, but in it's own way it worked.
Now there are times when you need that friend to tell you, that color just isn't getting along with our skin tone or you're giving away too many of your secrets if you get what I mean. But that's not what I'm talking about.
Another thing that came to my attention was a rule I had adopted that you could only be one type of style. (ie, grungy, dressy, preppy, southern, hippie, etc) But why? God didn't create us all to be the exact same? No one has the exact same view on everything, so why do we apply that to our clothes, style, decor, or anything really.
I felt I could either be put together Allison who loved to dress up or tom boy Allison who hates getting "dolled up"... But again, why do I think that? what made that the rule? Once again two women helped me see that you don't have to be one or the other. I can be just as much ME in a pair of sweat pants and a hoodie as I am in a dress, heals and pearls. It may not sound like much to you, but as I have unraveled more and more layers of this in my own life, I feel free-er and more ME. Something I would have never thought I'd be... I had myself cramped in a box, because I felt that was what I was created to be. "Why would I like something, want to do something if God hadn't placed that desire in me first.."
What happened next you might ask? Well, I bought myself some converse shoes and worse them all the time. Never once did I hear a negative comment and actually have heard a few, "I wish I could pull them off like you do." So I do my best to remember this..
My converses are still a reminder of this revelation and now years later I'm still doing things that rock my own former opinions on who I could be and what I could wear... I have since done things such as, wear skirt/dresses, leggings with long tops, chopped off over two feet of hair and then later chopped it again to a pixie style, my hair has purple in it, I have a bit of a crochet hat collection and recently I have been gradually allowing pink back into my wardrobe just to name a few.. This posy may not mean anything to you, or may even be silly. But to a girl who felt she could only be one thing, dull and boring, it was a major break through and there are still times I have to remind myself.
I believe that God placed in me this love of color and things that are different and I'm enjoying the freedom of being able to go with one thing or the other.
Especially recently there are still times I feel out of place in the arena but I'm always comforted by the still soft voice.. And if I don't like it, just take it off or do something different next time. Most things can be changed simply. Experiment, have fun... ENJOY. He created us to enjoy. There's no limit or definition as to what that has to be.
Nothing is too minor an accomplishment. I challenge you to try, do, or wear something that you've told yourself you couldn't. Even if it's just in your room or somewhere no one can see you. It's about you, not everyone else.. Here's to you being the you, Abba created inside you!!! Let him or her out and see what happens!

Happy Saturday
-AC









3 comments:

  1. Coming Soon:
    I love that, but I just can't pull it off. Part Two: Dancing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, you shouldn't call me out so much. Can't wait for part two. Daryl and I were just talking dancing today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really?? Wow, I actually felt silly writing this the next day. Thanks for the encouragement!
    This one started out in my head as the dance one, but the intro became real long, so I made it a part two.. And to think I was worried I wouldn't have enough to say..

    ReplyDelete